Alcohol Use on Gilmore Girls - possible spoilers
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 11:10:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
475982 Posts in 1571 Topics by 105877 Members
Latest Member: E1339

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Alcohol Use on Gilmore Girls - possible spoilers
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Print
Author Topic: Alcohol Use on Gilmore Girls - possible spoilers  (Read 41794 times)
Ali-Sama
Town Resident

Community Points: 41

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: June 27, 2007, 10:29:29 am »

You have to put it into perspective. The two women have insane metabolisms. Look at how much food they can put away and not gain weight. Someone with a metabolism like that could easily drink more alcohol and be sober much faster then a normal person. Consider they would eat 2-4 times what a normal person would. This also means they will usually have somthing to absorbe some of the alcohol as well. The more food you eat, the more it will help you against getting drunk.
I don't drink, but I studied biology so I know a little.
Ali

"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230
My Live Journal/Myspace
http://ali-sama.livejournal.com
http://www.myspace.com/alisama77
Miranda
Town Selectman

Community Points: 775

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 27, 2007, 10:31:24 am »

Ali, I'm impressed! Prettystick you for that piece of information!!!
I've always been jealous of Lorelai and Rory, eating so much (bad and unhealthy) food and still stay very skinny... *sigh*  Grin

Thanks sis (Katinka a.k.a Snowy_Duerre)
Ali-Sama
Town Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: June 27, 2007, 10:38:54 am »

I've always been jealous of Lorelai and Rory, eating so much (bad and unhealthy) food and still stay very skinny... *sigh*  Grin
Danka.
Yeah. I wish I was like that as well. Fast metabolism. I eat pretty healthy normally. I need to get more active.

"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
My Live Journal/Myspace
Miranda
Town Selectman

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 27, 2007, 10:50:28 am »

Danka.
Yeah. I wish I was like that as well. Fast metabolism. I eat pretty healthy normally. I need to get more active.
Same here, I eat healthy and try to avoid my chocolate cravings (living in a chocolate country doens't make this easy!!!!!), but I need to get more excercise...

Ali-Sama
Town Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: June 27, 2007, 11:34:53 am »

Danka.
Same here, I eat healthy and try to avoid my chocolate cravings (living in a chocolate country doens't make this easy!!!!!), but I need to get more excercise...
choclate isn't that bad. eating too much bread and rice is worst. Everything in moderation. Though somethings I would not eat. If you guys think gg is bad. You should see maison Ikokku(a comic book and a cartoon). They can drink and party so much in that story it is scary. It is by the creator of ranma 1/2 and inu yasha.  It is my favorite series becuase of the closure it has and the love story.

My Live Journal/Myspace
Miranda
Town Selectman

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 27, 2007, 11:36:07 am »

I love bread and rice  Grin And pasta  Grin Embarrassed Damn me!!!!  Grin

Ali-Sama
Town Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: June 27, 2007, 12:03:06 pm »

I love bread and rice  Grin And pasta  Grin Embarrassed Damn me!!!!  Grin
Just watch the carbs. That is important.

My Live Journal/Myspace
Miranda
Town Selectman

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 27, 2007, 12:07:48 pm »

I have no idea what you mean by that?  Huh

Ali-Sama
Town Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: June 27, 2007, 12:37:20 pm »

I have no idea what you mean by that?  Huh
carbs are carbohydrates. Breads, rice, sweets etc.

My Live Journal/Myspace
Miranda
Town Selectman

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 27, 2007, 01:05:46 pm »

Oh, ok, thanks!  Grin

Ali-Sama
Town Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: June 27, 2007, 01:13:14 pm »

You know what i found disturbing was not the alcohol. It was that Rory's character did A 180. She was a shy, smart girl who suddenly turned into a manipulative, boy chasing slut.

My Live Journal/Myspace
Miranda
Town Selectman

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 27, 2007, 01:14:30 pm »

You know what i found disturbing was not the alcohol. It was that Rory's character did A 180. She was a shy, smart girl who suddenly turned into a manipulative, boy chasing slut.
I have to agree with you on that one

PyramidHead316
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

The Evil Lurking in Stars Hollow

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 30, 2007, 03:54:26 am »

Is Rory sleeping around with dozens of men? Is she intentionally hurting other women by being with a guy? Unless you count Lindsay back in season 5, no, she  isn't. So I hardly think she should be labeled a "slut" merely for not staying a virgin like the viewers would have wanted her to. Because that's what it comes down to, isn't it? The viewers were upset that she wasn't a little girl anymore. I think the fact that she had an affair was second to the fact that she lost her virginity.

Rory has used bad judgment in her relationships, especially with Dean and Logan. However, to say that she's a slut is to tread into that queasy territory where men can somehow act promiscuous and get away with it, yet any female who shows even a slight sexual interest is to be looked down on. Furthermore, Rory's only following Lorelai's example. Lorelai's a good mother, but she hasn't set the best example when it comes to relationships. With Rory being so succeptible to outside influences (practically a doormat when it comes to boyfriends and her grandmother), it was inevitable that she pick up a few bad traits from Lorelai. However, the actual sexual part is a decision that is Rory's business only. I don't see anyone giving Paris grief for sleeping with her beaus, so why is Rory any different? Especially when we have no idea what Dean and Jess were doing back in their home towns. They could have been sleeping with dozens of girlfriends and we would have no idea, because it was never covered as part of their backgrounds. We know Tristin and Logan were 'man-whores' as some might call them, but the other two are a mystery.

I actually had a fanfic challenge relating to that, but I don't know where is the right place to put it. Furthermore, the "new topic" button seems to have disappeared from the general section.  Huh

Oddly enough, this does relate to the alcohol topic. The same balance that Rory is lacking in her personal life, Lorelai has achieved when it comes to things like drinking. Although she has some slip-ups like at Lane's wedding, for the most part, she knows when to step back. For all the jokes about needing alcohol at the Gilmores that she makes to Luke, we never have seen Lorelai take more than one drink when she's at her parent's house. Obviously she knows that one is all she can handle, or wants to handle, and any more is just tempting that thing called trouble. Which is as it should be. Unless you're Italian or German, there really is no reason to go overboard with alcohol. Hell, I'll go as far as to say that there's no reason for drinking it, period. I have never been drunk in my life, because I've never had an alcoholic drink in my life, and I'm 21. I don't intend to have any alcoholic drinks unless it's at something like my wedding, where I have to drink champagne or some other substance. And since I don't foresee myself ever getting married, well, that pretty much rules it out for the rest of my years, doesn't it? I don't care if it makes me look like a prude to my friends or co-workers, they won't be the ones standing with a clear head while they're all puking their guts out after a night at the bar.  Tongue

Yes, I am smug in the knowledge that no amount of peer pressure could tempt me to try alcohol. Deal with it.  Wink

However, I don't think there's a problem with the way it was portrayed on the show. These are not perfect people, nobody is. If they want to drink alcohol occasionally, and the producers of the show want to show, that's fine with me. Unless it's with really hardcore stuff like drug abuse or domestic violence or prejudice, shows don't have a responsibility to teach good values to children, because the fact remains that everybody's definition of "good values" is different. There are some people who believe that anybody who has sex outside of marriage is going to hell. It doesn't matter how good a person you are or what you do for the community, you're going to hell. Does that mean we should stop showing people who have sex in TV shows? Hell no. Because that's only a certain percentage's point of view, not the standard by which we all have to live by. Drinking is like that, and really, it's up to the parents to regulate what their children watch. So if seeing Rory or Lorelai take an occasional sip bothers you, then don't let your children watch the show. However, don't be a hypocrite by then taking a sip yourself, because then you're sending a mixed message to those children. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:11:38 am by PyramidHead316 » Logged

Java Junkie/Rogan fan
HollowStar
Town Resident

Community Points: 24

There are no flowers, no not this time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: June 30, 2007, 07:36:30 am »

I've never been offended by their alcohol use, and I'm straight edge.  For those of you who don't know what that means, it means that I've made a life commitment to abstain from alcohol, among other things.  Anyway, being as that is my choice, I have still never been bothered by the alcohol use on the show.

Yes, Rory did drink before she was 21, but I think that put a more realistic edge on the show.  After her first year [at Yale] or so, she lost the "good girl" image and began doing more "grown up" things.  When she was younger, she always had a coke or a club soda at Friday Night Dinner.  However the older she got, and the more "college girl" she became, she began drinking.  I think it's natural, and I also think it would have kind of made her a prude if Amy had made Rory wait until she was 21 to take even one drink.

In regards to their driving, they have often mentioned that so-and-so is too drunk to drive so they are relinquishing the keys, so to speak.   I don't think Lorelai drank enough at dinner for it to affect her driving.  I also think the show portraits her as a normal person who enjoys certain alcoholic beverages.  She doesn't get drunk just to get drunk; she drinks on special occasions and occasionally will drink in a social setting.  She's not downing vodka at home by herself.

Needless to say, it doesn't bother me and I think it makes the show more realistic.

I will let you down.  I will make you hurt.  What have I become?
Ali-Sama
Town Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: June 30, 2007, 02:19:40 pm »

Is Rory sleeping around with dozens of men? Is she intentionally hurting other women by being with a guy? Unless you count Lindsay back in season 5, no, she  isn't. So I hardly think she should be labeled a "slut" merely for not staying a virgin like the viewers would have wanted her to. Because that's what it comes down to, isn't it? The viewers were upset that she wasn't a little girl anymore. I think the fact that she had an affair was second to the fact that she lost her virginity.
the sudden change in character is what made it disturbing.

Rory has used bad judgment in her relationships, especially with Dean and Logan. However, to say that she's a slut is to tread into that queasy territory where men can somehow act promiscuous and get away with it, yet any female who shows even a slight sexual interest is to be looked down on. Furthermore, Rory's only following Lorelai's example. Lorelai's a good mother, but she hasn't set the best example when it comes to relationships. With Rory being so succeptible to outside influences (practically a doormat when it [comes to boyfriends and her grandmother), it was inevitable that she pick up a few bad traits from Lorelai. However, the actual sexual part is a decision that is Rory's business only. I don't see anyone giving Paris grief for sleeping with her beaus, so why is Rory any different? Especially when we have no idea what Dean and Jess were doing back in their home towns. They could have been sleeping with dozens of girlfriends and we would have no idea, because it was never covered as part of their backgrounds. We know Tristin and Logan were 'man-whores' as some might call them, but the other two are a mystery.
Paris was in character. I dislike both tristan and logan beucase their not only sluts but users of people. They Hide behind their parents money and screw with anyone and everyone.

Oddly enough, this does relate to the alcohol topic. The same balance that Rory is lacking in her personal life, Lorelai has achieved when it comes to things like drinking. Although she has some slip-ups like at Lane's wedding, for the most part, she knows when to step back. For all the jokes about needing alcohol at the Gilmores that she makes to Luke, we never have seen Lorelai take more than one drink when she's at her parent's house. Obviously she knows that one is all she can handle, or wants to handle, and any more is just tempting that thing called trouble. Which is as it should be. Unless you're Italian or German, there really is no reason to go overboard with alcohol. Hell, I'll go as far as to say that there's no reason for drinking it, period. I have never been drunk in my life, because I've never had an alcoholic drink in my life, and I'm 21. I don't intend to have any alcoholic drinks unless it's at something like my wedding, where I have to drink champagne or some other substance. And since I don't foresee myself ever getting married, well, that pretty much rules it out for the rest of my years, doesn't it? I don't care if it makes me look like a prude to my friends or co-workers, they won't be the ones standing with a clear head while they're all puking their guts out after a night at the bar.  Tongue

we have seen Lorelai freshen her drink a few times.  Same here, except I would not even drink at my wedding(assuming i get to that stage).  My friends know not to invite me if it is a drinking social beucause they know that I wont' have fun.

Yes, I am smug in the knowledge that no amount of peer pressure could tempt me to try alcohol. Deal with it.  Wink
I have had it by accident thoguh. Once. I thought it was normal coffee on an airline. Same here though. I have not done jack and peer pressure meant nothing to me.

However, I don't think there's a problem with the way it was portrayed on the show. These are not perfect people, nobody is. If they want to drink alcohol occasionally, and the producers of the show want to show, that's fine with me. Unless it's with really hardcore stuff like drug abuse or domestic violence or prejudice, shows don't have a responsibility to teach good values to children, because the fact remains that everybody's definition of "good values" is different. There are some people who believe that anybody who has sex outside of marriage is going to hell. It doesn't matter how good a person you are or what you do for the community, you're going to hell. Does that mean we should stop showing people who have sex in TV shows? Hell no. Because that's only a certain percentage's point of view, not the standard by which we all have to live by. Drinking is like that, and really, it's up to the parents to regulate what their children watch. So if seeing Rory or Lorelai take an occasional sip bothers you, then don't let your children watch the show. However, don't be a hypocrite by then taking a sip yourself, because then you're sending a mixed message to those children. 

The alcohol was a pat of their culture. That is why it fit.  Hypocrites can be the worst.

I've never been offended by their alcohol use, and I'm straight edge.  For those of you who don't know what that means, it means that I've made a life commitment to abstain from alcohol, among other things.  Anyway, being as that is my choice, I have still never been bothered by the alcohol use on the show.
Ditto.

My Live Journal/Myspace
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: