6.18 - The Real Paul Anka
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 03:41:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp
475981 Posts in 1571 Topics by 100324 Members
Latest Member: JIOY

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Episode Discussion
| |-+  Season 6
| | |-+  6.18 - The Real Paul Anka
Poll
Question: What was your opinion of tonights episode?
Okay
Good
AWFUL
Awesome
I did not see it

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: 6.18 - The Real Paul Anka  (Read 61151 times)
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 643

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2006, 04:38:09 pm »

The Real Paul Anka:

Luke travels with April and her math team to Philadelphia, where he drops in on Jess, whose new bookstore is having an open house; Rory also stops by for the grand opening after she and Logan have a fight; and Lorelai spots her parents house hunting in Stars Hollow.

~Heidi

Flame    Flame
jinglesosborne
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 14

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 05:21:38 pm »

Finally a show with some humour!  Emily was a star as always, and couldn't you just picture her a grandmother again (so long as she knew which grandchild was hers!)  I think the opening dream sequence with the Paul Anka confusion set the tone for the show, even if we endured some seriousness.

The wedding dress was a hoot.  The rock and roll coolness of Mrs. Kim was bound to change.  I'm not sure what other ideas she has in mind for the wedding, but hopefully, they won't be quite so puritanical.  Kind of sad, though, that Lorelai gets to help someone her daughter's age get married while the horrible flowered dress she picked out for herself sits and gathers dust.

NATALIE (to Lorelai): You have your mother’s wit.
EMILY: Sometimes I wish she’d give it back.
vrpj
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 06:01:46 pm »

Anyone know?
GimoreGirlxo
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:04:45 pm »

ok did anyone see the shirt jess was wearing in the new eppy today?
haha
it was a picture of Alexis, but noone aknowledged it lol..
so yea
any one else notice it?
wanna say something? haha
jinglesosborne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 06:11:45 pm »

I don't know who is on the shirt but it kinda looked like Rory for one second.

Tanna
Town Resident

Community Points: 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 06:12:18 pm »

I was wondering if it was her.  But we had a thunderstorm roll through and my reception went all snowy so I really couldn't tell. 

Tanna

jinglesosborne

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 06:13:44 pm »

Oh yeah, this question was on the episode board.  It actually looked like Rory, but maybe our minds are playing games.  Rory didn't seem to notice it.

Lapis Lazuli

Community Points: 20

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 06:14:25 pm »

I liked this episode. It started out pretty cool with Lorelai's dream of the two Paul Ankas. But there were some off moments, like Lorelai disparaging the town to try and convince her parents not to buy there... it made me cringe.

I liked the scenes with Jess. He isn't as sarcastic as usual, maybe he's a bit more comfortable with who he is and what he's doing. Some of the scenes with his roomies/arthouse friends seemed a bit stagey but overall it was cool. And then the kiss... I hope I'm not spoiling it for people who haven't seen the episode yet, but that scene helped make this show.

My other favourite scene was when Luke gives April her sweater. SO CUTE.

Poor Lorealai, now even Rory's met Luke's daughter. I guess the only good thing is Lorelai isn't the last one in her family to meet her!
iheartjess
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 06:14:49 pm »

i totally noticed jess' alexis shirt. he looked so hot.
so what does everyone think? i'm new here....are jess and rory gonna end up together???
oh i hope so.
Logan is a jerk.
Kt
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 06:16:36 pm »

Okay, I really don't like the special guest stars that don't do anything but be special guest stars.  So, the real Paul Anka did nothing for me.

Okay, I understood Lorelai keeping quiet about how she felt if she was acting like she didn't mind.  But, if she's going to throw the luggage around and bump it into doors and clearly acts upset, then it's time to actually say something.

Rory, too.  And, now I realise that certain things I was worried about in spoilers (which I won't specify) are probably going to come true.  

I knew that line Emily had about not being Luke's daughter was because she mistakenly thought another kid was April, not that she found out April wasn't Luke's real daughter.

No comment on the field trip.  Don't care.

The Jess stuff was good and annoying.  The good?  Jess and Luke.  Forget Jess and Rory.  I've always loved the relationship between Jess and Luke, and love that they had scenes together, and that Jess wanted to pay Luke for what he did for him.  

The annoying?  Apparently, those pheremones of Rory's are long lasting.  I was really really really hoping that Jess had no feelings for Rory beyond just being a good friend.  But, at least Jess still gets Rory when she acts stupid.  The fact that she tried to use him to pay Logan back.  But, I would have prefered that she tried to kiss him, and he pulled back and said he didn't think of her that way, just as a friend.  And, no, that wouldn't crush her, because she didn't want him anyway.  Just have someone get past Rory.  

I don't think Lorelai should have messed up the wedding gown.  It was ugly but it was past down from Mrs. Kim, and Lorelai shouldn't get in the middle of things like that.  It was up to Lane to find some way to get out of wearing it.  

So, best part?  Jess and Luke.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
missusmariano
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 06:19:50 pm »

Kiss I loved the kiss! Even though it ended with Rory pulling away.  Cry  But it was such a good kiss while it lasted.  I just don't buy that Rory loves Logan but I know that's what the show is telling me.  I'm not sure if I'm going to accept it.  I'm glad that Jess is acting so great.  Giving Luke money and being productive!

That dress was awful!! But it was kind of sad that Mrs. Kim's wedding dress was ruined.  I wonder if the parents are trying to by Lorelai a house?  *I have no idea so its not a spoiler*

& I think Lor & April are going to meet soon.  I mean even Rory and Jess have met her already!  Geez.  And Luke needs some help with the girl talk with April
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 06:25:40 pm by missusmariano » Logged

emsly
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 06:20:28 pm »

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this episode, so I'll waste some time and go step by step.

The Paul Anka bit was cute, but unnecessary.
Emily/Richard in Stars Hollow wasn't bad. I just really hope they won't move there. There's really no point to it. They already have a nice house, with maids, and it's close to Richard's office, no?
Rory/Logan. I can understand where Rory is coming from. You want to forgive someone but you just can't. Understandable.
Lorelai/Luke. They need to talk already. I'm glad that Emily told her she needs a relationship with April. She definitly does. Luke is treating her like crap. He just honestly doesn't know it. That's where Lorelai should step in. She can't honestly expect him to realize he's hurting her if she's acting like everything is ok.
Rory/Jess. WHen I first saw the kiss, I was confused. I just didn't get where it fit. Quite honestly I still don't. It would have been better if they were friends I think. (I would like for them to get together by the end of the series, but I know it won't happen so I've moved on I guess.) I like Jess here though. He still reminds me of old Jess, just not quite the jackass.  I also really like the Jess/Luke scenes. I have always liked the two of them together.
The wedding dress bit was the only part I really laughed out loud.  Too funny.   But I still don't think Lane and Zach are ready to get married.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 06:23:16 pm by emsly » Logged
Erin

Community Points: 37

The poster formerly known as lovingg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 06:22:23 pm »

Oh my word, I laughed so hard at the end when Lorelai poured her coffee all over Lane's hideous, monstrous dress!  When she was walking around it, I was thinking in my head, "Maybe Lorelai will spill her coffee on it and Lane won't have to wear it."  So great.  Yes, she probably shouldn't have messed with it, but I'm sure Lane would thank her b/c I can't believe she'd want to wear that dress.

I liked this episode a lot.  It seemed in a lot of ways like "old" GG. 

I didn't care for the Paul Anka bit.  I agree with Dani that it was unneccessary and added nothing to the plot. 

jinglesosborne

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 06:26:22 pm »

Ah, Jess.  So debonair.  I'd like to think they'll be together, but knowing the actor isn't going to be appearing anytime soon ruins the idea!  I guess if they're paying for Matt to come back next season and play Logan, they're going to be keeping him around for awhile, good or bad.

i_luv_jess
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 06:42:22 pm »

Wow, good episode! The dream was kind of cool with the Paul Ankas and all. Luke is making me want to take him by the shirt and give him a good shake sometimes. He tells Lorelai he's going to have Jess meet April but what about her? Emily even gets that April is going to be in Lorelais life no matter what once they get married. So whats Luke so afariad of them talking once in a while. They still could get their only time to hang out.

The dress was so like Mrs. Kim. I laughed when I seen that thing and when she poured coffee on it. I still kind of feel bad from Mrs. Kim though to since it was her wedding dress that got ruined.

I have to say Rory made me so angrey when she did that to Jess. Kiss him then tell him shes in love with Logan. I mean come on he cheated on her and probably is while hes at his live or death trip. Jess really got his self together and although they cant be together she deserves someone like him and not Logan.

The last thing I want to say is that Luke and Aprils relationship got stronger on the trip. When he handed her the sweater she called him dad for the first time and in front of her friends.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: