2.21 - Lorelai's Graduation Day
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 04:51:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
475988 Posts in 1571 Topics by 114030 Members
Latest Member: JeffreyWar

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Episode Discussion
| |-+  Season 2
| | |-+  2.21 - Lorelai's Graduation Day
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: 2.21 - Lorelai's Graduation Day  (Read 48939 times)
katie_lou
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 34

In Omnia Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2008, 08:52:30 pm »

I think if their best friends first relationship has a single serious limitation, it is regarding Rory's boyfriends. Not just Jess, but also Dean before Lorelai got to know him, and Logan for the majority of his and Rory's relationship. Lorelai is always critical at least at first and it puts up a wall between the two Lorelais, where Rory can't share.
It probably stems from the fact that Lorelai has made some bad choices relating to men and she wants to protect Rory, but she plays the mom card and criticises her "best friend's" boyfriends while Rory isn't in a position to reciprocate. Even when Rory is worried about Christopher's interference in season 5 (I think) she goes to him rather than bringing up her concerns with Lorelai first.
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2008, 01:20:15 pm »

Hah, too right! Lorelai spins like a revolving door about whether she wants Rory to put herself out there. Maybe it's like riding a bike: encouraging your kids to learn is much easier than watching them fall!

Hey, katie_lou, howdja do?

katie_lou

In Omnia Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2008, 04:23:49 pm »

Hah, too right! Lorelai spins like a revolving door about whether she wants Rory to put herself out there. Maybe it's like riding a bike: encouraging your kids to learn is much easier than watching them fall!

Hey, katie_lou, howdja do?
Lol. A poet and you didn't know it  Grin. I'm awesome thanks, schools out for Winter! Not as catchy as summer but with 5 weeks to say it, it might catch on.
The revolving door thing - we get Lorelai in season 1, go to the dance, stop sitting at home, make some friends, etc juxtaposed with Lorelai in season 5 who's criticising Rory to Luke for being "dating girl". Granted casual sex is never going to be supported by a mother but she was only sleeping with Logan, not Robert, and for once she was actually going to parties and meeting people. Even Rory season 4 was quite unsocial.
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2008, 12:18:20 pm »

Sounds like you could start a trend. Why winter, you hail from Aussie?

Heh, poor Rory, Lorelai goes from "Don't quit school for a boy" to "you'll do stupid stuff for the right boy" to "Tell a boy you love him" back to "Never spend the night with a boy" to "Don't get a crush on a boy when you're dating a different boy" and so on. I mean, she said she hadn't figured it out herself yet, that seems to mean "I won't know what you're doing wrong until I see it."

katie_lou

In Omnia Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2008, 02:06:23 pm »

I am Australian  Smiley and I just finished my 3rd semester of Uni so I'm looking forward to sleeping in and holding mini GG marathons while it's freezing at my house, and pondering "where is my Logan?" It's second semester of sophomore year and while I have no intention of stealing a boat come December, finding my Logan would certainly liven things up a bit. Stupid reality.
Ugh I hated Lorelai's advice to Rory in Season 7 regarding Rory and Logan - you'll know when it's right to get married, etc. Uh Yeah because you sure did.... I mean you're not the woman who left Max days before the wedding, got married on a whim and called off the engagement to the man the writers would have us believe you're pining for in this scene. Riiiiight.
gg crazy
Diner Chef

Community Points: 4

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2008, 06:57:15 pm »

Why did rory cut school 2 c that jurk?? lorelai was so sad when rory didn't come. (crying alot, 2 sad 4 me!)  Sad Cry

jenny91
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 42

A flower for Luke

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2008, 07:00:48 pm »

yeah i know
that mad me so mad when she did that, couldnt believe it, and the way lorelai looked when she wasnt there Sad

wmushell
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 950

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2008, 01:27:13 pm »

I really like this episode and my absolute favorite aspect of it is how Emily and Richard, in their own way, really make an effort to show Lorelai they care.† Hiring the videographer and giving Lorelai her choice of corsages is the only way Emily knows how to show Lorelai affection.† Hee - I honestly don't blame Lorelai at all for joining in with her peers when they were mocking the "rich people" . . . it is a bit embarrassing and does not necessarily mean that she didn't appreciate it on the inside (because she seemed really pleased they were there by the time she got her diploma).† Besides, since she's a bit older than her classmates she probably tries not to stand out as much as possible.

I, too, really thought Christopher's graduation presents shined.† He's really in my good graces in this episode - but boy that doesn't last long because he truly manages to screw it all up in one fell swoop come next episode.† Ahhh, how my feelings about him go back and forth between thinking he's a great guy and then thinking he shouldn't be allowed within a mile of Lorelai.† It's complicated. Undecided

Oh good, Jess has now officially said goodbye so that must mean thereís closure and the whole ugly mess is over.

Hee, Lauren one could only hope.† †Cheesy† However, I'm afraid that this is not the case and he will be back causing havoc sooner rather than later.† I've already stated this earlier in the thread a long time ago, but there is absolutely no excuse for Rory taking off that day and missing Lorelai's graduation.† There's a very simple explanation for her behavior . . . in that moment she was extremely self-involved and thoughtless, which are traits I truly don't care for.† It is not even an excuse that she thought she would be back in time - she went all the way to New York on the day of the event - not to the next town!† Of course delays could pop up when taking such a risk.† Plus, and this is so weird to me that so many people forgive her for this, she is the girlfriend of someone else!† I know there are those who will say, "Give her break, she's young and still figuring this stuff out etc." but I really disagree with that.† She is well aware she and Dean have an arrangement that means that both of them are dating exclusively - and quite frankly she treats him like dirt.† Anyone who thinks otherwise has clearly never been truly screwed over by someone they're dating to fully understand that.† Dean gets a lot of slack for being whiny, but the truth is all of his clingy-ness in response to Rory . . . when someone starts pulling away the other person can feel it - a lot - whether they know all the details or not.† If there's any doubt whether Rory is treating Dean badly, the fact that she kisses Jess in the next episode pretty much cements it.† Anyhow, long story short, Rory was extremely careless with people she claimed to care about on this day.†

I think that Lorelai just went with her instinct when dealing with Rory when they finally met up at home.† I don't think she was too lenient or too harsh on her . . . because the thing is she let Rory know that she was hurt and that really is going to be a punishment in itself.† I know this because growing up I would do just about anything rather than have my mother be disappointed in me - and I think Rory was feeling that a little.† As far as Lorelai giving Rory advice -- I'm not sure it's fair to say she shouldn't be dishing it out due to the fact that she has relationship woes herself.† When it comes to matters of the heart, does anyone truly have the answers?† Even couples who have been together in a marriage for a long time (which is considered "successful" due to the fact that they're not divorced) have dysfunction and pain and doubts.† As a parent, Lorelai can only state the situation as she sees it and then Rory has to be the one to ultimately go through it.† It bugs me so much when Lorelai brings up Jess that Rory shuts her down and says, "I don't want to talk about that!" - clearly she's not ready to take responsibilty for the fact that she's been building a relationship with Jess when she's officially seeing Dean.† I honestly don't think much of her for this.†

I can't wait for the next episode . . . drama, drama, drama!

thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2008, 03:11:15 pm »

I think this is one of the best episodes.  As much as Lorelai wanted to believe that her parents won't show up, the fact that Emily and Richard showed up did show that they cared for her and were there to see her graduate at something.  It's a great moment for those 3.

Rory's feelings for Jess has intensified as I think the theme of the episode is about one thing... denial.

Lorelai not wanting to believe that her parents will show up for anything relating to her and Rory not wanting to believe that she has feelings for Jess.  I also liked what Christopher did.  I'm not a fan of the guy but he does have his moments where he's trying to be a really good guy.  Rory's scenes with Jess are great to show that Jess did care about her and he said "goodbye" to her when he never got the chance.  Plus, he asked about Luke. 
tennischic
Diner Chef

Community Points: 47

No one can make u feel inferior without ur consent

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2008, 08:36:06 pm »

I think this is one of the best episodes.† As much as Lorelai wanted to believe that her parents won't show up, the fact that Emily and Richard showed up did show that they cared for her and were there to see her graduate at something.† It's a great moment for those 3.

Rory's feelings for Jess has intensified as I think the theme of the episode is about one thing... denial.

Lorelai not wanting to believe that her parents will show up for anything relating to her and Rory not wanting to believe that she has feelings for Jess.† I also liked what Christopher did.† I'm not a fan of the guy but he does have his moments where he's trying to be a really good guy.† Rory's scenes with Jess are great to show that Jess did care about her and he said "goodbye" to her when he never got the chance.† Plus, he asked about Luke.†

I luv how you noticed the theme. Cause well it truly was denial. This episode is a fav of mine also and i think it was a good example of how Rory is lik Lorelai. Without a dout. Goin to the big apple was something i could see Lorelai doin when she was Rorys age but for Rory do it was out of character and i enjoyed ever moment of it.

~ playin till dawn ~
*Berkley*

stephstargirl
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2009, 10:05:35 pm »

Re the end of the episode: I think the reason Lorelai seemed to get over it so quickly was because she didnít need to be upsetóRory was upset enough for her.  Plus, she was beating up on herself enough that Lorelai transfers her anger to concern for Rory.  If Rory wouldn't have been so penitent and self-deprecating, Lorelai would probably have been upset for longer.

I like this episode because it feels real.
Lorelai_Luke12
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2009, 04:48:22 am »

hey wot is the episode called before this one, i think its the one were rory and jess get into car accident, i was watching it last nite but ive forgotten what it is called?

it kinda annoyed me that episode when  everyone blamed jess for the accident i mean i dont think it was his fault. what also annoyed me was when Lorelai blamed Luke for gettin rory to tutor jess i mean i felt sorry for him because he knew that jess would listen to rory, she's the only person he would listen to, he was just tryin to get jess educated even though it didnt work. then Lorelai tells luke to go to hell, well i was lost for words i mean theyre meant to be friends for goodness sake but the way they argue its unbelievable.

thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:04 pm »

Teach Me Tonight

But that was 2 episodes before that. 
Lorelai_Luke12
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2009, 02:48:17 am »

oh rite i thought it was the episode before this one. well thanx anyway now i know what its called!  Grin

forfun
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2009, 07:10:38 pm »

I am not a big fan of Chris but it was cute that he sent her a present and he told her that he was proud of  her but of course who wouldn't be?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: