6.13 - Friday Night's Alright for Fighting
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 10:28:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
475988 Posts in 1571 Topics by 115243 Members
Latest Member: plertrocd

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Episode Discussion
| |-+  Season 6
| | |-+  6.13 - Friday Night's Alright for Fighting
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: 6.13 - Friday Night's Alright for Fighting  (Read 38951 times)
gilmore-girl
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 30

Forward, Remember, Forward::Proud to be a Huskie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 06:18:00 am »

I have to say that that was the best Friday night dinner ever!! I loved it so muchy. Now I wish I would of recorded the episode just so I could see it again and laugh more!!

It was sweet of Logan to help out Rory like she did but I didn't like that Paris didn't thank her for all the help. I mean Rory really pulled through for the paper and Paris shouldn't of acted the way she did. As for the whole April thing I wish Lorelai would stop letting Luke make all the decisions since its not making her real thrilled. I mean I understand Luke wants to get to know his daugther but he should include Lorelai and she shouldn't of let him postpone the wedding. I wish Luke would find out that shes not happy about it and do something.

- gilmore-girl
Save yourself some time and the forum some space...read the rules!!

unapologeticmocker
Town Resident

Community Points: 14

I <3 GILMORE GIRLS!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 06:21:28 am »

I only need to say 2 things:
1) The whole dinner fight was confusing.  They are getting along, they are not, they are getting along, they are not.  Boy was I CONFUSED.  I mean did all of that happen.  I thought most of the episode was them fighting, but no it was like the last 15 minutes.  What a bumer.
2) I think I my be coming around in terms of Logan. He has really shown a good side of himself these last two episodes.
CAN'T WAIT TILL NEXT WEEK!

I thought of something................
I Luke soooooooo dense that he can't see how not okay Lorelai is with the situation.  Boy is he dumb.  You can see it in her expression ans body language.  He is so wrapped up in his junk that he isn't even noticing and what is Lorelai thinking , acting as if she's okay with everything.  These two better learn to tell each other their real feelings or they will never last married. It also bugged me that Luke wouldn't let Lorelai intrude on his time woth April.  She needs to get to know her and not through a window.  But this is jusy my own personal opinion.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 06:25:52 am by unapologeticmocker » Logged

Gilmore_Lover
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 77

*Jenny*

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 06:40:02 am »

Yes but that' s the joy in it. Sure, it was a little choppy--but the whole getting along wanting to rip eachothers heads off, some yelling some talking then switching then laughing------

don't you think it summed up their ENTIRE relationship in one evening. It was so skillfully written to shoe that.

Bonus? I'm sure that scene must have been FABULOUS for the actors to shoot  Wink

<333 WATCH THIS--It'll change your life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 .ONE LOVE.
nikki
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 37

Come check out the Great8Mandate!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 06:48:20 am »

I often bash the JJ’s communication inabilities, and often cry out “haven’t they learned not to keep secrets yet!?!”  So I surprised myself when I didn’t mind Lorelai’s plan to hold off on canceling the things that would be hard to un-cancel if things settled down and minds changed, all without telling Luke.  Not canceling things yet just makes logistical sense.  If you aren’t going to lose your deposit yet, just wait since emotions are running high and messing with the decision processes.  And not telling Luke makes sense too because he could read it as “I am in the process of manipulating you into being back on board with these plans.”  If he asks about it I hope she ’fesses up and says “I knew we were both feeling mixed up about things, and the deposits were still able to be refunded, so I decided to wait until the no-deposit-refund-date to actually cancel.”  I still don’t think they should get married in the church (dear writers:  Hello, the CHUPPAH!) so I hope she ends up having to cancel that one, but still.

However, I have not done a complete 180.  Keeping the above info from Luke is really just about facts.  But Lorelai is still keeping her feelings from Luke, and that’s not ok.  Their relationship has problems as it is, and doing that just makes it even more unhealthy.  I realize that part of the reason Lorelai isn’t divulging her feelings is probably because she is having trust issues with Luke.  But she needs to find a way to overcome that and say “Luke, I know I was the one who put the idea of postponing on the table, and I know I sounded cool with it, but I’m not.  I guess I wasn’t expecting you to be on board with it, and when you were that hurt me because I felt rejected.  It felt like you jumped at the chance to avoid marrying me, even though I know that’s not what it was really about.”  And then she needs to express how she feels about being shut out of the April stuff.  “Luke, it seems like you assumed that I knew you wanted alone time with April and then it seemed like you assumed I was ok with it.  But really the first time I had an inkling that this is the way it was going to go was when you left a message subtly instructing me to stay away until after your visit with April.  And I’m not completely ok with it.  I realize you guys need some alone time, but telling me to stay away just makes me feel isolated from a huge part of your life when we are supposed to be including ourselves in each other’s lives since our lives are supposed to be blending into one.  I’d like to be able to drop by the diner and if April is there then I can hang with her for a little bit.  I’m not saying I need to be with you every time you hang out with her, but I don’t like the idea of being shut out from every time you are together.”

This episode seems like it should have been titled “Jump to conclusions” (which makes me think of Office Space).  I really don’t like it on TV shows when people jump to conclusions and don’t let the other person get a word in to explain that their conclusion is wrong.  Yes, I realize that Sookie has been there with Lorelai through all the relationships she has sabotaged, but even if the postponement was Lorelai’s doing, doesn’t a good friend still say “What happened?” instead of “What did you do?”  Shouldn’t a good friend see that her friend is sad, even if that sadness was self inflicted, and let that override her “I told you so” approach to the subject?  And I know that Patty and Babette have always been the town gossips, but that doesn’t mean I have to like their insensitive behavior.  It really bothered me when they assumed Lorelai and April didn’t get along, because the only reason they would assume that is because it’s more fun to spread around that kind of news which is just low in my opinion.

Last episode I thought they were trying to set up an atmosphere of “Rory is a better leader than Paris” and was expecting Rory to take a stand the correct way (not the way she actually did it that episode) so that the end result was either Paris changes her way and Rory is the hero and everyone respects her and wants her to be chief editor next year, or Paris doesn’t change but since Rory stood up the correct way everyone respects her and votes Paris off the island and names Rory their new leader.  Either way I was expecting them to set up Rory being editor.  But that’s not the way things went down last episode, so I was confused.

However, I am less confused this episode.  While I don’t think Rory accepts mediocrity (except when it comes to the boys in her life – ducks!) she clearly has the right philosophy: Any picture is better than no picture.  Any photographer is better than no photographer.  Any paper is better than no paper.  Which drastically contrasts Paris’: Only the best, only perfection will be acceptable.  No picture is better than not having the best picture.  No paper is better than not having the best paper.  She clearly has the right leadership – she was able to rally everyone together after they quit to get the paper in.  Was she bossy, yes, but was she a tyrant, no.  This episode left me feeling like they have set up Rory becoming the editor the way I expected before.

I didn’t like the whole “Logan saves the day, my hero!” deal.  I was with it until he got on the phone with the printer because up until that point he did legitimate work and crammed with the best of them (though since everyone was standing around watching him I am guessing he was the bottleneck, but anyways…).  But when he got them back in with the printer, I was not on board with everyone’s “Oh yay!  Logan saved us!  He sure knows now to throw his dad’s name around instead of using any actual negotiation tactics of his own!” sentiments.  If he weren’t always complaining about all the expectations that come with being his father’s son, I wouldn’t care that that’s how he handles things.  But you can’t have your cake and eat it too, Little Huntzberger.  Pick a path and stick to it.

Ok, the g-rents sequence.  What the heck was up with that?  I was, and still am, so confused.  So much of it seemed fake and like a dream sequence.  After the first 4 scenes I thought I knew what was going on, but I was wrong.  I thought the first two screaming scenes didn’t really happen: they were representing how they should be hashing things out and getting everything into the open.  And then the subdued scene where they discussed the dessert was how things really occurred: the typical cold “we don’t actually discuss our problems” way of behaving.  And then the hysterical laughing scene where Emily was relaying her conversation with Shira, again, didn’t really happen: it representing how you can get closer once you vent everything out.  I was expecting another cold scene to again show how things were really being handled, how they weren’t all close and friendly because they hadn’t hashed things out.  But it was another fighting scene.  And when the girls finally left and looked disheveled and deflated I knew the fighting had actually occurred.  So what was up with that dessert scene?

And where is Marty! Sad  We’ve had 3 episodes, I believe, since Rory returned to Yale.  Every episode that goes by with no Marty makes me lose more and more hope that he will be brought back.  I’m going to go light a candle…
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:05:45 pm by nikki » Logged

Click here to become part of the Great8Mandate!
gadget
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: -2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 07:59:08 am »

Ok, I'm going to make my run-down easy to skim, because I have a lot to say, and let's face it, when you see a really long paragraph, you debate as to whether it's worth it.

Paris' meltdown:  Way overdone, and really not characteristic of Paris.  They're turning her into a freak.  She went from being a well-intentioned, highly-competitive, socially-challenged, super-motivated, and overly stubborn gal with blinders on, to being a dual-personalitied psycho/tyrant.  She's too logical for all this paper crap they've been writing in for the past months.  Where are they going with this?  Writing her out of the show?  I can't see a future.  They have messed up Paris since the night of the DAR event.

Lorelai re:Luke:   I don't think it makes sense that she hasn't found (or made) an opportunity to talk to Luke.  She always jumps in and speaks her mind in the heat of the moment, even when she probably shouldn't.

Lorelai re:Richard and Emily:  Lor's call to parents about Yale funding was really well done, and I think totally realistic.  She has tried to reach out to them before (remember her attempts to "just hang" with Em when Richard was going through that work stuff?)

Rory/paper:  There were some really fabulous scenes on this topic.  Loved seeing her crisis mode, such a breath of fresh air after her recently more frequent spoiled and whiny thing.  I do think she would have been able to calm Paris better, she always has been able to temper her and even her out.  Did anyone else see glimpses of Lor when Rory was calling the printer-guy?  Loved that.  (What would Richard have said? lol)

Logan:  Um, what a girl.  He's turned into a pathetic puppy.  The only decent part with him in this ep was his newspaper save part.  Everything else?  Way too sappy and annoying.

April:   um, can we see more of her please???

Luke:  stop being a baby, and start to deal with things.  I don't think this is how he would handle this.  Luke tends to underestimate how much family commitments will change things, not overestimate them.  Plus, he would want Lor's help in all this April stuff, he has always come to her in the past (Rachel, Nicole, his sis, etc.), and the one time he didn't for like two days, he regretted it and told her so (jess coming).

Fight scene: First of all, experimental filming perspectives are for film school students.  The reason we shouldn't ever see them in shows like this?  The fast dialogue is the part of the show that's supposed to be dizzying, not the camera angles.  Second, I like the effect they were going for, you know, showing the endless fighting with its ups and downs, but they didn't succeed.  Finally: Saying something nasty when you're shocked and hurt is one thing, but laughing about it later is just mean.  Lorelai and Rory shouldn't have been so amused, and Emily shouldn't have revealed the exact words, especially so gossip-y.

Lauren Graham:  excellent job playing so inherently sad, with glimpses of hope.  Really well acted.

Alexis:  first time in months I haven't wanted to kick you off the show.  Better acting from her than we've seen in awhile (excluding fight scene).

Well, that's it I guess.  Maybe I'll see ASP in the cafeteria when I visit the studio later this month and share my insights... 
Here's hoping next ep is better!

MissV327
Inn Owner

Community Points: 147

~*~ Katy ~*~ aka Peachy Keen

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 08:09:34 am »

I've already posted once before, but I've thought of some more things since then.

#1. My favorite quote of the night had to be Paris's "I hope people don't mind buying SPF 5000 when everyone is bursting into flames." SO funny.  Cheesy And her whole makeshift bunker? She really has cracked!

#2. Lorelai really needs to open her mouth and say something to Luke about how she feels about the whole April situation. If she doesn't, I have a feeling it is just going to blow up big-time in her face later.

#3. Maybe I'm just being meticulous here, but I wonder what kind of food Logan had stashed in his desk. I certainly hope it wasn't anything that needed to be stored in the fridge. We wouldn't want anyone getting sick now....I mean, weren't they there for several hours? Just a thought.

#4. I really hope things do work out for Lorelai and Luke in the end. I think the church with the carousel in the back is the perfect place for her. But I think they should bring the chuppah thing that Luke made for her back in the day. On the other hand, maybe they shouldn't bring it in because it does have that whole "attached to Max" vibe going on. Oh well. Whatever.

I guess that is all for now.  Cool

"You silly little pickle! You silly little peas!" - Veggie Tales (Those sweet geniuses!)

"Let your heart guide you. It whispers...so listen carefully."
The Land Before Time

W.W.P.O.D. ?
GGsCoffeeCup
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

binks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 09:27:55 am »

WOW!  I really, really loved this episode.  It was so much fun and I got to the point where I was cheering for certain characters.  The Yale Daily News scenes were amazingly satisfying and I can't wait to see Rory take over the Editor-in-Chief position soon.  The fights at the Gilmore house were interesting and new.  I loved that they filmed it in a refreshing and unusual way.  I know no film terminology so that's the best I can muster.  I really felt the tension between Lorelai and Luke.  It was so palpable and sad.  Though I hate to see anything happen to them, it was amazing acting.

All in all, a FABULOUS episode.

Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 09:29:20 am »

Paris' meltdown:  Way overdone, and really not characteristic of Paris.  They're turning her into a freak.  She went from being a well-intentioned, highly-competitive, socially-challenged, super-motivated, and overly stubborn gal with blinders on, to being a dual-personalitied psycho/tyrant.  She's too logical for all this paper crap they've been writing in for the past months.  Where are they going with this?  Writing her out of the show?  I can't see a future.  They have messed up Paris since the night of the DAR event.

Yes, you're absolutely right.  You're description of who Paris used to be is spot on.  I can't help thinking they're sacrificing the character of Paris in order to give Rory a chance to shine. Again.  

Fight scene: First of all, experimental filming perspectives are for film school students.  The reason we shouldn't ever see them in shows like this?  The fast dialogue is the part of the show that's supposed to be dizzying, not the camera angles.  Second, I like the effect they were going for, you know, showing the endless fighting with its ups and downs, but they didn't succeed.  Finally: Saying something nasty when you're shocked and hurt is one thing, but laughing about it later is just mean.  Lorelai and Rory shouldn't have been so amused, and Emily shouldn't have revealed the exact words, especially so gossip-y.

Yes, again, to the first sentence.  I don't want to see something "cool" and "different" from this show.  I want to see what has worked since the start.  Change?  I want to see change when it applies (believably) to the characters as they grow.    I don't think I liked the effect, though.  It all goes with the whole idea of summing up their entire relationship, as other people have said.  And, that's the problem.  Before, it was like we were eavesdropping on people's lives.  Yeah, sometimes the lives included strange and quirky things, and the people were always unusually witty and always had a comeback -unlike actual people in real life, but the illusion of reality was there.  It wasn't like the show was aware that there were people sitting at home watching.  The fight tonight seemed to be written as blatantly aware of there being an audience.  People don't sum up their fights to each other.  (And, really, what exactly did they finally get out in the open?  That Lorelai was upset about Emily going to Christopher?  They knew that.  That Emily felt Lorelai should have gotten married when she had Rory?  That's no secret!  Heck, I bet Old Man Twickham knew that!) 

Fresh and new isn't always a good thing.

Although I have to cut them some slack on the Shira recap and laughter.  Mean, yes.  However, I have to admit to being mean, oh, once in my life.  

I didn’t like the whole “Logan saves the day, my hero!” deal. I was with it until he got on the phone with the printer because up until that point he did legitimate work and crammed with the best of them (though since everyone was standing around watching him I am guessing he was the bottleneck, but anyways…). But when he got them back in with the printer, I was not on board with everyone’s “Oh yay! Logan saved us! He sure knows now to throw his dad’s name around instead of using any actual negotiation tactics of his own!” sentiments. If he weren’t always complaining about all the expectations that come with being his father’s son, I wouldn’t care that that’s how he handles things. But you can’t have your cake and eat it too, Little Huntzberger. Pick a path and stick to it.

I agree with almost everything you wrote, except I didn't have a problem with Logan using his name to help the paper.  People have jumped into bed with worse people than Mitchum Huntzburger (and I'm sure with people they've hated more) in order to help something.  If Logan decided to swipe cards like Rory did, or even work at McDonald's, because he didn't want to live off his father's money (which, no, I don't think he would, I'm just being hypothetical) that would be admirable.  However, even if he did those things, I still think it wouldn't be a bad thing to name drop in this case.  It's one thing to have principles or pride, it's another to let them stand in the way of helping out.  I don't think I would have liked it if he had been so stubborn that he wouldn't name drop when there was a chance it could help, especially since everyone else had worked so hard and had their hopes up that the paper would be out in spite of everything.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
meg-pie

Community Points: 38

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2006, 10:42:57 am »

Amazing episode! The only thing I didn't like was Luke which is weird because I always love Luke. I didn't realize Lorelai wasn't going to be involved at all with April.  She deserves to be she had to postpone the wedding.  Lately I've been hating Logan but I really liked him in this episode how he worked hard on the paper it was good to see him working unstead of being handed everything on a silver latter.  It was the first time in while I was actually happy to see rory and logan together. The friday night dinner was great I loved how they were laughing then fighting then laughing again.  I'm glad they got all the problems out in the open and that they've reistated friday night dinners. Overall I really enjoyed this episode can't wait until next week!!!

Erin

The poster formerly known as lovingg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2006, 11:31:44 am »

I'm relieved to see the forum is working; last night I kept trying to get on and couldn't.  But anywho, I really loved this episode.  I have to say that even thought the camera work was a little wacky, I liked that they took a risk and did something different, and I really loved the Friday night dinner sequence.  Lauren Graham deserves an Emmy just for her personation of Emily and Richard in her re-enactment of the scene from "A House is Not a Home" (I think that was the ep.).  And I thought it was so fascinating the way that they went from arguing to laughing and back to arguing.  I think a lot of times that's how families are.  I also thought it was great the way Emily was recapping what she said to Shira.  I loved that scene, and yes it was mean, but I thought it was amazing anyway. 

My problem with Paris' behavior is pretty much in line with what gadget said about her.  It seems like she's becoming more and more of an overly-exaggerated caricature of her original character, and not in a good way.  Same thing with Sookie, really.  I agree with Nikki that her response to the postponement was not at all how she should have or would have responded.  What friend just automatically says, "What did you do?" after hearing their friend's wedding is postponed but not hearing the details of what happened?  If anything, a friend what say, "What did the creep do?"  (I'm not saying Luke is a creep, just that girls who are comforting their friends after something like this usually are eager to blame the guy and not their friend!)  Not only that, but the way she made it all about her and wondering if Jackson has a lovechild was just too much.  That, coupled with her "I'm the BFOTB!" tirade has just made her seem more and more annoying and less loveable.  Bring back the old Sookie and Paris!

I have to say that I really loved Logan in this episode.  He definitely knows how to grovel. Smiley  The way he stepped up to the plate was completely admirable, and it also shows just how much potential he has if he would just carry that focus into everything he does and not just do it to get Rory back.  I was a little surprised with how happy Lorelai seemed to hear that Rory was planning to have dinner with Logan, but then again we don't know what she wrote in the letter, and I am sure she wanted to try and be supportive and not accusatory. 

Speaking of Lorelai, I loved how she was the one who insisted at the dinner that everyone not leave so they could hash things out and that she was the one who thought Rory should tell the grandparents about Chris paying for Yale before they found out some other way.  She really stepped up and took charge, and for once there was communication!  So why couldn't she do the same with Luke.  Nikki, I agree with your assessment of Lorelai not postponing the wedding, and I also think that the fact that Lorelai isn't being honest with how she feels about everything is not ok.  (And I'm with you about the chuppah as well!)  It's not healthy, and it's just going to continue eating away at her until there's some sort of blowup.  And I don't get why Luke isn't being more like, "Hey, how are you doing with all of this?"  Sure, he offered to help with cancelling stuff, but he didn't talk to her about how she really felt about it, and the fact that he hasn't even introduced Lorelai to April is weird to me.  It's like he's shutting her out of that part of his life, and it's too big a part for him to do that.  Of course, if Lorelai would just talk to him it would solve some things, but it seems like he's being kind of clueless and borderline insensitive. 

Oh, did anyone else think Paris' little workstation looked like the paper-covered shack from A Beautiful Mind?  She's definitely going off the deep end!

One more thing: does Rory know about the postponement?  We didn't see her tell Rory, which I thought was kind of odd, especially considering they had lunch together and that would have been the perfect time to tell her.  So that has me wondering if Lorelai is waiting to tell Rory because she's hoping that Luke will get a clue and the wedding will be back on before she has to tell her.  Anyone have thoughts on that?

Overall, I was very pleased with this episode. 

missmystery
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

.:Oy with the poodles already!:.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 12:00:09 pm »

OMG! That was the biggest and most excitng and comfusing eppy I have seen in a VERY long time! I Can't wait til the next eppy!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 06:17:17 pm by missmystery » Logged

.:Michel: You know what happens when you assume:.
.:Lorelai: What?:.
.:Michel: I don't know! Something about a donkey. Some stupid American phrase:.
tyger
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 12:05:57 pm »

I liked the episode (apart from the spelling "alright" Wink).

Best was the notion that if family members have problems with each other they should try talking it out.  It won't be easy. You'll laugh; you'll cry; you'll exhaust yourself.  But at the end of all this hard work you just might come out with some very valuable:  a better understanding of one another. 

By the way, this is about the best the younger ones can hope for from the grandparents, I think.  They'll never change.

I thought there were some interesting firsts.  One was that for the first time Rory and her grandparents really talked in sharp ways to one another and this led to another first:  Lorelai finally having the power broker position and we can see that she should be the one to always have it since her solutions lead to the better results than any of the others could achieve.

The newsroom situation, while predictable, not only reminded me of A Beautiful Mind, but also a little of The Front Page.

I find Luke's wanting to go it alone for a bit with his newfound daughter to be entirely defensible.  For one thing, if Lorelai were there would he ever get a word in edgewise? Wink

Funniest line of the night:  Lorelai doing her impression.  Hilarious!
nikki

Come check out the Great8Mandate!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 12:07:06 pm »

Quote from: Dani257
It's one thing to have principles or pride, it's another to let them stand in the way of helping out.  I don't think I would have liked it if he had been so stubborn that he wouldn't name drop when there was a chance it could help, especially since everyone else had worked so hard and had their hopes up that the paper would be out in spite of everything.

I agree that it would have sucked if Logan’s pride or whatnot had prevented him from helping out with the printer situation.  However, I would have been more wowed if he had been able to negotiate the situation by his own means, without his father’s name.

Frankly I really don’t follow what the heck happened with Friday Night dinners in the first place.  Before this episode I couldn’t tell if Christopher was only going to pay for Future Yale payments, or if he was going to also send Richard and Emily a check for the first two years that they paid for.

From this episode we learned that Christopher only paid for Future expenses for Yale.  So Rory still owes her grandparents for the first two years.  So she still owed them Friday Night dinners.  So (a) how is that the FNDs were REinstated, when they were supposed to still be instated all along, and (b) how was Rory able to skip out on all the FNDs up until now if the grandparents were under the impression that they were still paying for Yale?  Doesn’t make sense, does it?

I am a little irked with how much we are putting down Luke for not noticing Lorelai’s sadness.  I liked the way Erin put it the best (“Of course, if Lorelai would just talk to him it would solve some things, but it seems like he's being kind of clueless and borderline insensitive”) but it still seems like we are being stereotypical females: blaming a man/Luke for not reading our/Lorelai’s mind.  Not only has she not expressed how she really feels, but she keeps saying “It’s ok, it’s fine.”  If a woman not only doesn’t say how she really feels, but also says the exact opposite of how she feels, can the man really be blamed?

Several of us (including me) have been praising Rory for her awesome rally at the paper.  However, many people are referring to this as seeing the “old” Rory.  I disagree.  Before Stupid Rory, Old Rory was demure in many ways.  Old Rory wasn’t super assertive on her own.  She sort of piggy backed off of other people’s assertiveness: Paris, Lorelai….  While Rory is no longer Stupid Rory, she’s not Old Rory either… she’s New and Improved Rory.  Much more take charge and assertive.

By the way, what ever happened with Rory’s job at the Stamford Gazette?  She’s made no mention of it since she landed the job.  Was it just a 1.5 month winter internship?  Maybe the writers forgot.

Quote from: gadget
Ok, I'm going to make my run-down easy to skim, because I have a lot to say, and let's face it, when you see a really long paragraph, you debate as to whether it's worth it.

um, ouch? Wink
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:23:47 pm by nikki » Logged

Click here to become part of the Great8Mandate!
tyger
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 12:08:11 pm »

P.S. I think the quick scene cuts were the only feasible way to handle what they were trying to show. The only alternative would be to make the entire hour (45 minutes actually after you remove the ads) about the Friday night dinner and I don't think anybody would want that, right?
1giantGGfan
Yale Alumnus

Community Points: 253

Hen+Chicken=4ever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 12:45:06 pm »

I can understand why most people didn't like how the fight scene was filmed, but I just have a thought that I would like to share. Maybe a reason why they chose to do that scene that way.

In the first eppisode, Stars Hollow was filmed and the camera moved around to kind og get the feeling of Stars Hollow. In that same eppisode, the grandparents' house was filmed stiff. When they changed angles it was a direct cut. You could feel the tension just by the way the camera was angled. Maybe, possibly, the way they captured this scene was to hint at their relationship getting better. It was still choppy and tense, but it moved more.

A lot of people have mentioned how Logan isn't exactly their favorite characeter. I agree whole heartadly. I also agree when people say that they like who he is becoming. It seems like he is learning to be a better person and really try for once. I just hope that if him and Rory work out, he won't change back into the same person he used to be.

Lorelais story in this episode almost made me cry. I can't stand to see her so openly sad. She was never like that before. She could really hold her true feeling in really well. And it peeves me that she is so sad and Luke doesn't notice. They one time that it is so obvious, he doesn't give it a second thought.

I like April. I think she is a cute kid and possibly a good story. I was just pondering though. She is 12 years old. That puts her in what, 6th or 7th grade. I am 14-almost 15- I am a fresman in High school and a year ahead in Math, and I am in geometry. I'm not sure about other schools, but usually in Jounior High School (or Middle School, what ever you want to call it.) they don't offer classes that high advanced. Especially if she is only in 6th grade because that could put her all the way in elemntary school. I know that she is smart, but it just seems a tad unbelievable when you think about it. Maybe I am just a bit put down because she is 12 years old and smarter than me, but it just bugged me. However, that is the writers fault, not April.

I love the Rory! She was amazing! She is really turning her act around and getting herslef together. This is the Rory I like to watch. I was starting to get sick of her entire story, but this episode made me feel so much better about her.

Overall, I like the episode. It made me sad and left me feeling a tid bit depressed, but it was good.

I liked the episode (apart from the spelling "alright" Wink).
haha yeah, I noticed that too. And it bugged me.

Angela

^Thnx Melissa!
Just say, "Yes M.A.M.M"
Always a PTS @ Hearts 
I Hearts Rachel, my TJS!
Currently Located: In Janich's Dreams! Kiss (1 lucky girl!)
Marlies' biggest photo fan!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: