6.13 - Friday Night's Alright for Fighting
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 09:47:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp
475988 Posts in 1571 Topics by 113896 Members
Latest Member: ERash

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Episode Discussion
| |-+  Season 6
| | |-+  6.13 - Friday Night's Alright for Fighting
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: 6.13 - Friday Night's Alright for Fighting  (Read 38844 times)
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 643

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2006, 06:07:56 pm »

Friday Night's Alright for Fighting:

While Luke deals with the reality of having April in his life, Lorelai tries to pretend she doesn't mind the repercussions the new situation is having on their engagement. Rory's concern over Paris' lack of management skills at the Yale Daily News finally reaches a crisis point when most of the staff quits in protest. With Logan's help, Rory makes a valiant attempt to get the paper out on time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 06:08:58 pm by Heidi » Logged

Flame    Flame
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 06:18:03 pm »

Good, I was waiting for a thread to get started.  Okay, while I waited I lurked over on TWoP (another board) and apparently my opinion is totally different.  Because when I watched, all I could think of was "what did they do to my show?"  Yes, the show isn't an 8th of what it was, but I had hoped that they would still do what they do best.  Realistic, sometimes heartbreaking, real, honest, fights.  But, noooooooo!  They had to get tricky and arty and do stupid scene cuts.  The cock-eyed optimist in me (that I'm seriously going to murder for being gullible and stupid) had even entertained the crazy idea that maybe I'd see Richard and Emily listening to Lorelai, understanding that she's not the child from hell who ruined everyone's lives.  Oh, what?  The crazy laughing over Emily's snub of Shira was supposed to tell me that?  Well, nope.  I don't want to see them laughing and joking unless I see it naturally leading up to that.  No transistions?  It was like they wanted to cram 5 or 6 fights into one episode.  Makes sense when you wait until 40 some odd minutes into the show.  What happened to fights that weren't done on fast forward?  Like Christopher Returns?  Like Secrets and Loans?  Like Nick and Nora and Sid and Nancy?  And, the spoilers about how everything finally gets out in the open?  Oh, yes.  Because I never knew Emily was upset that Christopher and Lorelai didn't get married!  Why in all the years I've watched, that never came up.  So glad they got that out in the open.  The only thing realistic about the fight was Emily refusing to believe that Christopher called them instead of the other way around, and her deliberate blindness about how it was different when she went to Christopher to break Lorelai and Luke up.  I realize what was wrong.  They played what should have been a dramatic (and by that I don't mean angst or melodrama) scene as a broad comedy.  Who wrote this crap?

I have never been so disappointed with what should have been a meaningful argument from this show in my life.  I'll write some about the other stuff in my next post.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 06:19:44 pm by Dani257 » Logged

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
MichelleLynn
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 06:48:41 pm »

i dont know, i liked the episode. i wish they had spent more time on the fighting, of course. and i want lore to confront luke about april. but i thought the daily news part was really good, and even though the fighting wasnt long enough, i like the style in which they edited it. i kind of liked the jumpy, harshness of it.

Beth
Town Resident

Community Points: 35

sunshine014 back in action!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 08:17:11 pm »

Dani257, I do agree with you on some points-- they sort of botched up what could have been poingant and a really Classic Gilmore Scene. However, while the camera angles creeped me out a bit, and the choppiness was a little abstract, but I thought it was fresh and new. (And new isn't always good, but...)

Also, frusterating. I mean, all this Lorelai not being open with Luke business just gets tiring. ::sigh::

Opinions? Especially on that last scene?

Do you think my hair looks cool? 'Cause, you know, some days I wake up and I'm like, cool. Some days I'm like, could be cooler. Like today I got up and I was like, left side cool, right side not so cool.
~~~
Fox Force Five #4
MissV327
Inn Owner

Community Points: 147

~*~ Katy ~*~ aka Peachy Keen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:25:46 pm »

Just watched the episode and here are my thoughts:

Throughout the episode you could really tell the Lorelai was so sad about postponing the wedding. It's like she really wanted to tell Luke she was upset, but she knew she couldn't say anything because she didn't want to be mean or selfish about the whole new daughter situation. I can understand where Luke is coming from, but I also sympathized with Lorelai.  Undecided

Logan hasn't exactly been one of my favorite characters on Gilmore Girls, but I think he's starting to grow on me. I like this new version of him - he's not so brass and cocky like he used to be. It's refreshing.  Cool

What was up with Rory's scarf? It looked like it had three huge gunshot wounds on it!!!  Shocked Not one of my favorite fashion pieces there.

The ending scene with the fighting/laughing scenes was a bit weird with the cuts and stops, but there were some good lines in there. Like Emily and Richard yelling about the whole plane time share deal...  Cheesy Those crazy kids. And I thought it was great when Emily said her line about "a child needs a mother and a father." Classic!!! And Lorelai's reply -"OH MY GOD!!!"  Cheesy

Oh and one more thing. Do fairy wings really smell THAT bad?  Huh
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:34:20 pm by MissV327 » Logged

"You silly little pickle! You silly little peas!" - Veggie Tales (Those sweet geniuses!)

"Let your heart guide you. It whispers...so listen carefully."
The Land Before Time

W.W.P.O.D. ?
Asdfaeou
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 09:06:40 pm »

wow, been so long since i've posted here, my s/n didn't work, anyways:

I loved the fight scene it was different but still really good, it took my mother saying something to really make me understand it more.  She just turned to me ten minutes after it was over and said, it was really good because it was the family's entire relationship in one night.  She's right, everyone being polite and nice (sherbert) emily and richard not getting to the point (beginning) rory versus grandparents (living situation), lorelai versus grandparents(handling of rory situation), lorelai versus emily(parentship), richard versus emily(share-holding plane) and everyone loving everyone (talking about the party) every bit of type of fight during friday night dinner we've seen with was covered.  It was one big summary, others may not like it but i say bravi, bravi, bravi!
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 09:25:03 pm »

Wow, I thought I had broken the board with my rant Grin

Okay, more thoughts.  I hated how Emily and Richard acted when Lorelai called -especially Emily- but it was realistic.

And, Sookie is a horrible friend.  You don't go into a freakout on your best friend when they tell you something like that.  She could have at least asked Lorelai what happened and then if it was Lorelai's fault, she could have said something.  What, she couldn't tell that Lorelai was hurting?

I did like the newspaper scene and that Logan helped out.  And, actually, Rory should have called him to help out.  He is a part of the paper.  If he had refused that was one thing, but they've already said he's a good writer and she should have been rounding up everyone that worked on the paper.  I thought it was nice that he wasn't upset that she forgot the date.  Although I don't buy that Paris would be that out of control.  (And, I also mean before this episode)  Paris is anal retentive and bossy, but she gets results because she knows what she's doing.

I'm just feeling disillusioned with the show.  

She just turned to me ten minutes after it was over and said, it was really good because it was the family's entire relationship in one night.

I think this is exactly why I didn't like it.  They shortchanged it by cramming everything in and only giving a soundbyte's worth of time to anything.   And, as for different, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 09:34:25 pm by Dani257 » Logged

mecca
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 09:39:53 pm »

I loved the fight scene it was different but still really good, it took my mother saying something to really make me understand it more.  She just turned to me ten minutes after it was over and said, it was really good because it was the family's entire relationship in one night.  She's right, everyone being polite and nice (sherbert) emily and richard not getting to the point (beginning) rory versus grandparents (living situation), lorelai versus grandparents(handling of rory situation), lorelai versus emily(parentship), richard versus emily(share-holding plane) and everyone loving everyone (talking about the party) every bit of type of fight during friday night dinner we've seen with was covered.  It was one big summary, others may not like it but i say bravi, bravi, bravi!
That is exactly how I felt - the whole relationship in a nutshell.  Things have really changed in many ways - for once Lorelai is not in charge, especially in the relationship with Luke.  But she took charge at Friday night dinner and everyone listened to her, that's a change.  So I think the point of tonight was not just another good fight, it was the last of the old style of fighting.  All the old fights are out in the open and they can start relating to each other as adults and loving family members, which is what they are, warts and all. 

I don't know how to think or feel about Logan, but he certainly was sweet tonight

Over 40 and lovin' the GGirls
lilrabbitangel14
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 31

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 10:36:43 pm »

Wow i wouldve thought there would be more post in here...I kind of like today's episode. Sure the fighting thing was new and yes it was putting the whole family relationship into one night..but it was really choppy and swingy. I wish they have more dialogue. I mean before this show was soo good because of all the thing they say. I mean, the smartness of how ASP wrote it and how the actor/actress delivered it..but now its not like that anymore. I wish they go back to how they used to be.

I personally love the newsroom scene. I am not the biggest fan of Rory but seriously this episode, she was back to her oldself. I mean the old Rory wouldve taken charge liek she did today. The old Rory wouldve done anything for the paper. The old Rory wouldve forgotten about a date trying to put out something more important. I hated the 6th season Rory..and now i think the old one is back. Or at least starting to.  Smiley

I can sense that Lorelai was extremely upset all through the episode...i mean, the beginning was great. But i hate the fact that Luke suggested if he can help cancel stuff..i mean Luke is suppose to the one guy that understands Lorelai really well..what happened to that? He shouldve understand that this was killing her...especially the fact that he didnt introduce Lorelai to April....shouldnt yoo introduce yoor daughter to her soon to be stepmother? I think they are like changing Luke..i dnt like changes/.  Angry

Emily: What kind of mother are you to allow this to happen to her?
Lorelai: Oh, I dont know, Mom. What kind of mother were you?

java junkies <33 Lauren graham
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 10:41:04 pm »

. Sure the fighting thing was new and yes it was putting the whole family relationship into one night..but it was really choppy and swingy. I wish they have more dialogue. I mean before this show was soo good because of all the thing they say. I mean, the smartness of how ASP wrote it and how the actor/actress delivered it..but now its not like that anymore. I wish they go back to how they used to be.

Yes!  I would usually say "Amen, Sister-Friend," but I think I might cry if I bring up old dialogue back when AS-P seemed to actually want to write a good show.

I can sense that Lorelai was extremely upset all through the episode...i mean, the beginning was great. But i hate the fact that Luke suggested if he can help cancel stuff..i mean Luke is suppose to the one guy that understands Lorelai really well..what happened to that? He shouldve understand that this was killing her...

I think he was acutally trying to be understanding.  He thought if he took some of the burdens of cancelling off of her it would make her feel better.  He was wrong, of course.

Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 643

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 10:51:23 pm »

As a random observation ... I noticed that with tonight's episode especially, it seemed like whenever the girls held coffee cups that they were almost surely empty.  I don't think I've ever flung around a cup (even when half gone) the way Rory was tonight. Wink

~Heidi

Flame    Flame
MegNatalia
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 10:52:20 pm »

I have to say that I really liked this episode because it showed how deep and complicated all of these characters are.  Take Emily, for example.  Yes she's petty and childish - but she was clearly so hurt, not just by the money thing, but by her entire falling out with Rory, I kind of felt for her, even though she was being impossible and typical.  And I loved how Lorelai stepped up and took charge, recognizing that she regretted letting her relationship with her parents deteriorate and not wanting to let Rory do the same thing.

Lorelai's biggest problem is that she's a bad communicator, she always has been, and I thought it was a big move for her to instigate the argument/discussion between the Gilmores.  If only she could do that in her relationshpi with Luke!  It's obvious how unhappy she is, but she refuses to say anything, she just wants to martyr herself.  (It's very Emily-ish).  The problem is that we all know she's going to bottle it up and then explode, and maybe ruin her relationship in the process.  It's hard to understand why Luke wouldn't want to invite her in, but I think he's really concerned with making up for lost time with April and just doesn't know how to deal with it.  He does want to involve Lorelai in some ways though - just think how excited he was to tell her all about how smart April is and how she loves to read!  Lorelai really needed to tell him that she wants to be involved...but then they couldn't drag this thing out as I'm sure ASP wants to.  And Luke seemed to really feel bad about postponing, and kept trying to talk to Lorelai about it, but she's shutting him out.  He clearly doesn't know what to do but at least wants to try to be involved - after all, she didn't involve him at all in the wedding plans to begin with!

I've always had a soft spot for Logan, I'll admit, ever since he first popped up, and I think he's finally starting to turn into that nice guy who was hiding in there all along.  

I love what people have been writing about the fight scene being like a summary of the Gilmores' entire relationship and Friday night history.  I thought it was an interesting way to handle it, because it was clear the writers wanted the characters to hash out a lot of issues - sometimes totally unrelated ones - and there was no way to smoothly segue between them.  For everyone missing the amazing word play, though - I'm not worried.  I'm sure there's going to be a doozy between Lorelai and Luke any episode now.  I just hope it doesn't break them up because that would be frustrating!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 08:08:25 am by MegNatalia » Logged
Lapis Lazuli
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 20

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 11:19:14 pm »

I liked tonight's episode, mostly because of Rory taking charge in the newsroom. This is classic Rory Gilmore here, motivating people and getting things done. I wonder if she's going to take over as the Editor now that Paris had her meltdown(?).

Luke is just so into his daughter, and that's nice and all... but it's clearly troubling Lorelai. It'll be interesting to see how that develops.

The fight at the end was completly jarring, like suddenly I wasn't watching GG anymore but some amateur indie film. It felt really forced. I mean I'd love for all those issues to be resolved so we don't have to worry on them anymore, but I'm not sure that was quite the best way to handle it.

One more thing. Logan. Just when I was thinking Rory wasn't going to get back together with him, he's back, and it's the old charming Logan. This was the Logan I liked at the start, but how long until the petulant sulking Logan makes his reappearance?  Huh
Shania
Town Resident

Community Points: 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 11:50:21 pm »

i don't get why luke hasn't added a curtain to the window yet. that way he could get some privacy in his diner when he doesn't want to see taylor's ice cream store.

loved the towns people looking in on luke.
i like luke spending time with alice but don't understand why he can't see how hurt lorelai is and  how leaving her completely out of his relationship with alice is hurting his relationship with lorelai.

bookfreak
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 03:05:19 am »

I liked the fighting format. I don't think we necessarily needed to see the whole thing, just the fact that they got everything out in the open. I liked that everybody revealed their secrets and that there was the range of emotions. It weirded me out a little bit, but I think it was a cool, different way of showing the fighting.

I don't understand Lorelai at all. Yes, I see why she would back down when Luke talked about having alone time with April. But really, how hard is it to say, "April seems like a really cool kid. Maybe I could spend some time with her/you guys after you get to know each other better." That's not invading Luke's space, but it shows that she's actually interested and wants to be a part of the whole situation (without being mad about it).

Need another good show? Watch Arrested Development on FOX! www.saveourbluths.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: